“Feeding a hungry child is not charity, it is our social responsibility”

unlimited food for education

Children are being fed everyday!
I donated and made a difference!
YOU can do it too.

Monday, April 1, 2013

Healthy batata vadas

I am petrified of frying.That's why ,I rarely make puris for my kid who loves them so much .Then I read about frying bhajiyas,batata vadas etc in appam vessel I thought about giving it a try. I have already made savoury paniyavarams many times .So ,I am quite adept with the appam vessel.Moreover unlike frying in a large bowl of oil,appam cooking will leave me with no leftover fried oil which I have to use in chapatis ,sabji vagar etc.I cannot think of wasting away fried oil no matter  how unhealthy fried oil is as it makes no sense economy wise ! Now I am waiting for which  some vessel makes frying puris as breezy as making these batata vadas

I came across this recipe @http://www.aayisrecipes.com/2008/08/24/soya-batata-vada/.I made some changes & here is my version.

Ingredients : 1/2 cup besan,4-5 medium sized poataoes, 1/4 cup soya granules( optional ),1-2 green chillies,a few curry patta leaves, 1 tsp grated ginger, 1/4 tsp haldi,1/4 tsp hing,1/2 tsp mustard seeds,1/4 tsp jeera,2 -3  tbsp oil   vessel.

Method : Pressure cook potatoes.Peel potataoes & mash them .Take a kadhai & make vagar with 1/2 tbsp oil.Add mustard seeds & jeera.When they have spluttered,add chopped green mirchi & kadi patta leaves.Now add poataoes,haldi & hing.Add soya granules which have been osked in hot water for 5-10 minutes & then squeezed to remove water.Mix nicely.Add salt & mix.Potato filling or bhaji is ready.Make small balls of poatao vadas ....about sizes of medium lemons . Keep aside.

In a big bowl ,take besan & add water.Make  dough by mixing besan with water.Note that no lumps should remain .Add salt,haldi & hing.The dough must not be too thick or thin.The dough must have drop down consistency.Please note that  no red chilli powder was added to dough as my daughter would not eat spicy batata wadas .Moreover the potato filling prepared has its share of green chillies & ginger.

Heat the  appam vessel on the gas.Add little oil in each of the bowls of appam vessel.Meanwhile dip a poatao ball in the besan dough .The dough must coat the poatao ball all over.Put this coated poatao ball in one of the appam vesse bowl.Repeat with other poatao balls.Cover the appam vessel with a lid.After five minutes,with the help of aspoon ,turn the poatao balls upside down in the bowls of the appam vessel one by one.The side of potato ball which was fried would have  turned golden brown.Cover with lid.After 3-4 minutes,remove the balls one by one from the bowls of appam vessel by means of a spoon.If the batata vadas needd more cooking ,they can be kept longer in the bowls.


One batch of batata vadas is ready.Now repeat procedure for next batch. For the second batch of batata vadas even less oil than the first batch will be needed to be put in the appam vessel bowls.

I got 16 batata vadas with my measurement.I had made small balls.Moreover my dough was thinner.I will make better dough next time.

With the remaining dough ,I made bhajiyas.I grated 1 small raw  potato.I chopped one small onion finely.Aded it to the reamining besan dough.Added some red chilli powder .Made bhajiyas in the bowls of appam vessel just as I made batata vadas. They were yumm !


Now I can have bhajiyas any time .....actually so many fried items ...thanks to the appam vessel !

1 comment: