“Feeding a hungry child is not charity, it is our social responsibility”

unlimited food for education

Children are being fed everyday!
I donated and made a difference!
YOU can do it too.

Monday, February 11, 2019

Poha Dosa & roasted gram dal chutni with minimum coconut.

My mom told me about this poha dosa which her brother had made for my parents when they visited him. I googled & came across the poha dosa recipe. Yet ,the googled recipes had urad dal in the ingredients whereas my mom said that the dosa prepared by my maternal uncle was ,sans urad dal. I made the poha dosa sans urad dal.

Ingredients : 1 cup thick poha(  preferably) , 2 cups rice, 1/4 tsp methi seeds , buttermilk for soaking the poha rice mix, salt to taste , oil for greasing tawas for dosa.

Method : Wash poha & rice two three times .Keep aside. Add buttermilk to the washed poha rice mix to soak them.Add 1/4 tsp methi seeds to this mix so that fenugreek seeds are soaked as well.  I soaked them for nearly five hours .

After five hours of soaking , I ground them nicely in the mixer. Even wet grinder can be used for grinding. I thought that I had ground the batter fine .I was wrong as I had added water after 2 hours of soaking as poha had soaked up lots of buttermilk. And this water became excess .I did seperate this excess water from the soaked mix. And did the grinding with the retained buttermilk in the poha rice mix. Yet the poha had not ground properly...this I realised when I spread the batter on tawa .

After making the batter, I kept it over nite to ferment with sourness of buttermilk. Next morning, I made dosas after adding salt to the batter.

The first dosa refused to spread & when I tried, it would tear off. Next dosa onwards , it was good going as tawa had got heated up & I was able to spread dosa batter nicely.

Spread batter on heated tawa. And let it cook .After the edges of the dosa rise up a little indicating that the downside has cooked, spread a tsp of oilon the dosa. Then, flip it over & cook on the other side. Cook more dosas this way. These dosas cannot be made thinner, I believe. You can try & even I will ask my mom on her return & update this blog post.The dosas are tasty & filling.

Serve poha dosas with chutni of your choice.

I made this chutni which I read about on Chitra's food book.

Chutni Ingredients : 1/2 cup roasted gram dal, 2 tbsp fresh coconut, 2-3 green chillies, 1 tsp grated ginger, 1/2 tsp sugar ( optional ), 1 tsp lemon juice, salt taste, 1/2 tbsp oil, 1/4 tsp hing powder, few curry leaves, 1 byadgi mirchi broken into pieces, 1 /2 tsp urad dal, 1/2 tsp mustard seeds.

Method : Add coconut, roasted gram dal, roughly chopped green chillies , grated ginger, lemon juice, salt, sugar & water to the chutni jar attachment of mixer & grind to a fine paste. Keep aside.

 In a kadahi , heat oil. Add mustard seeds.After they pop up, add urad dal .After urad dal turn golden brown, add curry leaves & byadgi mirchi pieces. Put off gas. Fry the mirchi & curry leaves. Add hing powder to kadahi & mix nicely.Pour this seasoning over the chutni made & kept aside. Mix the seasoning into the chutni nicely & serve with dosas.

I did not add extra water to the chutni as suggested in Chitra's food book. I made it thick. I added lemon juice instead of tamarind & ginger in place of garlic. And this dosa chutni combo was relished by my family as also my maid to whom I served 1 dosa as a sample.


1 comment: