“Feeding a hungry child is not charity, it is our social responsibility”

unlimited food for education

Children are being fed everyday!
I donated and made a difference!
YOU can do it too.

Monday, July 23, 2018

Sabudana Khichdi

I have tried sabudana khichdi before & it had turned out lumpy .I ate it as I can't waste it . Of course, I did not post it.

I had decided that on Ashadhi ekadashi, I will make sabudana khichdi. I asked my friend who is quite an expert in making this khichdi .She told me that the sabudana or sago pearly must be just about immersed in water level for overnight soaking .And she is right ! My friend told me that peanuts must be used in moderation .I followed her advice & it tuned out too good !

I did tweak the recipe. I did not add potatoes as I was in hurry. I added flax seed  powder & til or sesame powder as per Sangeeta Khanna's sabudana khichdi recipe in HealthFoodDesiVideshi  




Ingredients : 1 cup sabudana washed & soaked overnight with water just enough to immerse the sabudana, 1/2 cup roasted peanuts , 1tsp roasted til, 1/2-1  tsp flaxseed powder, 1-2 green chillies finely chopped, 1tsp grated ginger, 1 sprig of curry leaves, 1 tsp cumin seeds or jeera, 1.5-2 tbsp oil or 1 tbsp ghee, juice of half a lemon, salt to taste.


Method : Powder the roasted peanuts & seasame seeds in mixer. The powder must be grainy & not fine powder. Keep aside.

Mix the powdered groundnut powder, flaxseed powder, til powder with the ( overnight )  soaked sago pearls so that the sago pearls are coated with the powders. Add salt & grated ginger to this powder sago mix. Keep aside.

Take oil or ghee in a kadhai. I used oil. Heat it. Add jeera to it. When they crackle, add the green chillies  & curry leaves. Fry for a minute .Add the sago powder-ginger salt mix to the kadhai & mix all ingredients nicely. Keep cooking for four -five minutes.Mix again. Sprinkle some water over the mix in kadhai. Mix all ingredients in kadhai again. Cover the kadhai & cook for five minutes. The sago pearls will have become brownish or transluscent. Put off gas. Cover the kadhai with lid. After 5 minutes, uncover the kadhai. Squeeze lemon juice on the khichdi. Give the khicdi a good stir so that the lemon juice gets nicely distributed in the sabudana khichdi. Serve sabudana khichdi hot, in bowls or plates !

This khichdi was so moist and soft that I  was simply swallowing it ! Even my parents loved it !

2 comments: