“Feeding a hungry child is not charity, it is our social responsibility”

unlimited food for education

Children are being fed everyday!
I donated and made a difference!
YOU can do it too.

Monday, February 23, 2015

Makhana in palak spring onion greens gravy.

When I visited Allahabad as part of a pilgrimage,I had my first dish of makhana.There was a bhandara at Ganesh Chaturthi in the purohit's home .They had a feast .In the feast,I observed  chhole along with sweet stuffed puris.I was enjoying the creaminess of the kabuli chana in chhole.I was told that it was not kabuli chana but makhana or fox nut.


Fox nuts are  healthy .They can be made into a light tea time snack as well.

I came across some recipes of fox nut recently from the various food blogs that I follow.The next step was to go & buy the same.I got it & tried this recipe today.

I had half a bunch of palak leaves.I had spring onion greens & so I decided to mix the two greens for the gravy.I was quite skeptical of the spring onions being pureed nicely & I was wrong.The two greens blended nicely .

I looked up two recipes .One was at Lite Bites & another at Tummy khush.

Ingredients : 1/2 bunch palak de stemmed,cleaned & roughly chopped,1/2 a bunch or less of spring onion greens( optional - even a small carrot can be cut up & pressure cooked & pureed along with other veggies in place of onions ) ,2 small tomatoes,1 small onion(  optional ) ,1/2 ' grated ginger,1-2 green chillies,1/2 cup makhana or fox nuts,1/2 tsp red chilli powder ( optional ) ,1/2 tsp dhania powder,1/4 tsp black pepper powder,1/4 tsp turmeric,1/4 tsp hing,1/2 tsp cumin ,1-2 tsp oil,1tsp ghee,salt to taste,

Method : Wash the palak ,spring onion greens ,tomatoes,onions & green chillies.Roughly chop them.Pressure cook for 1 whistle.Keep aside.

After the veggie mixture has cooled down ,puree in blender or mixer.Keep aside.The puree was 1cup.

Fry the fox nuts in ghee till the fox nuts slightly change colour.Keep aside.

Take oil in a vessel & put on the gas.Add cumin .When they crackle,add haldi & hing.Then pour the veggie puree into the vessel Let it cook for 5 minutes.Add dhania & black pepper powder.Add red chilli powder( optional ) .Mix nicely.Add salt & mix nicely.Add water if gravy is too thick.I added half cup water.Boil.Add fox nuts to gravy & mix.Let it cook for 5 minutes.Put off gas .

Serve makhana in green gravy with chapatis and or rice.


When I tasted the green gravy ,I felt it was lacking pungency.Hence added red chilli powder.And it turned out more pungent.So red chilli powder can be skipped in case ,one likes less pungent dishes.Other than it being slightly more pungent by my standard,the  taste was superb .The fox nuts just melt in the mouth ! Must try some more dishes with makhana !


 

No comments:

Post a Comment