“Feeding a hungry child is not charity, it is our social responsibility”

unlimited food for education

Children are being fed everyday!
I donated and made a difference!
YOU can do it too.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Peanut butter n ghee nan khatai

I tried nan khatai erlier & did not post it. This time round, I tried a fusion of two -three recipes & tweaked them a little. I used peanut butter as also ghee. I mixed, whole wheat flour or atta with besan or chickpea flour ( chana dal flour ) & rava or sooji.



For the flour besan rava mix, inspiration was a You tube video 

Since I had peanut butter ,I googled for nan khatai making use of peanut butter. I got two peanut butter cookie recipes .One used eggs & another was eggless. Both recipes by the same food blogger.

I added flax seed meal as I was making eggless nan khatai. And I used ghee & peanut butter in equal amounts.


Ingredients : 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup chana dal flour, 1/2 cup rava,1 cup powdered sugar 1/4 cup peanut butter, 1/4 cup ghee, 1 tbsp flax seed meal.



Method : Add 3-4 tbsp water to 1 tbsp flax seed meal.Mix nicely & keep aside in a small bowl. Let this be kept aside for 15-20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 200 degrees centigrade for 10 minutes.

Mix chana dal flour, rava & whole wheat flour nicely with a spoon or whisk. keep aside.

Mix peanut butter & ghee nicely. Add powdered sugar to it. Mix sugar with ghee & peanut butter nicely.

Add this ghee peanut butter-sugar mixture to flour rava mix. Mix nicely.

After 15-20 minutes of soaking flax seed meal in water, pour the soaked flax seed meal water mix into the dough  mix containing flour-rava-sugar-peanut butter ghee.Add  water little by little if the dough is crumbly. Dough must be such that small cookies can be shaped by hand out of the dough.

Shape small cookies from the dough. Put the cookies on butter paper. Put the butter paper on to a tray.Bake them at 200 degrees centigrade for 20-30 minutes( in total after baking them 2-3 times ). I baked them in two trays in the oven...one below the other. So ,the baking was improper. I had  to bake many times And some got browned a tad too much & 2-3  got burnt . Baking in an electric oven is unfamiliar & so I erred. I forgot to bake the cookies from below & when, I tried to do that, I went overboard.Some got browned to chocolate brown shade & 2-3 got burnt.



The cookies turned out somewhat chewy. My dad felt they were not crisp. Sweetness was okay.


Tip : I forgot to add baking powder and or baking soda. I skipped adding elachi or cinnamon powder.

The cookies can be garnished with almond or cashews before baking & they turn out to be almond or cashew embedded cookies . Or any dry fruit of choice .

Next time around, I hope to bake better cookies ..crispy ones ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment