“Feeding a hungry child is not charity, it is our social responsibility”

unlimited food for education

Children are being fed everyday!
I donated and made a difference!
YOU can do it too.

Friday, February 8, 2019

Oats dhokla.

There were some left over Quaker brand of oats. I needed to use them as  I hate wasting anything. I had tried oats dosas & they were not so great .So , I decided to try oats dhokla.

I googled & came across this oats dhokla recipe .I liked this version. I wanted to add some leftover besan or chana dal atta which was lying since a month in the referegerator.I googled again & got this quaker oats dhokla recipe which uses besan.

My version of oats dhokla uses besan, sooji or rava  & oats.


Ingredients : 1/2 cup curd, 1 cup oats powder, 1/2 cup rava, 1/4 cup besan, 1 green chilli finely chopped, 1 tsp grated ginger, a few curry leaves, 1 packet Eno fruit salt, 2tbsp + 1 tsp oil, 1 tsp mustard,1/4 tsp turmeric,  1/4 tsp  hing powder, 1/2 tsp unpolished white til or sesame,salt to taste.

Method : Dry roast the oats for 1-2 minutes. After they cool down, powder them.

In a bowl, add rava, besan & powdered oats, salt, 1 tbsp oil, 1 finely chopped green chilli, grated ginger & dahi. Mix all nicely. Add water to get a thick batter. It must have drop down consistency like idli batter.Keep aside for at least 1 hour. I kept it for nearly two hours as in the quaker oats dhokla , the soaking time for batter is written as 1 hour. In the other oats dhokla recipe , soaking time is less than half an hour. I wanted to be sure that the rava , besan & oats have soaked up really well & so soaked for a longer time.


After two hours, put on the steamer or cooker with water to steam. Grease a plate with oil. Keep aside. Mix Eno salt of a packet with 1-2  tbsp water . It will start bubbling up. Mix this bubbling Eno water mixture to the dhokla batter & pour it immediately into the greased plate. Keep the greased plate on atsnd in the midst of steaming water in cooker. Close the cooker lid ( without whistle ) & steam for 10-15 minutes or till a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

For the tadka, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add mustard seeds. When they pop up, add sesame seeds,  curry leaves. Put off gas. Add hing powder & haldi to the tadka. Mix tadka nicely. Pour it over the dhokla cake & spread the tadka all over the dhokla  cake.

Cut the dhokla cake into desired shapes & serve with chutni or as it is.

I was too hasty in cutting the dhokla & so the edges cut out roughly as can be seen from the snap. Yet, it was fluffy & tasty !!!!

I have added haldi to tadka. Haldi is optional. If you like more chillies or more ginger, that can be adjusted as per taste or choice. It goes without saying that any brand of oats can be used.

No comments:

Post a Comment