“Feeding a hungry child is not charity, it is our social responsibility”

unlimited food for education

Children are being fed everyday!
I donated and made a difference!
YOU can do it too.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Colorful pulao

I came across this pulao rice at the Saffron Trail. I loved it so much so that I tried it immediately  .It came out well. I forgot to post it when I tried it first. So , today when I made it for perhaps the third or fourth time, I decided, that this must be posted today.


I have made some changes to the recipe.I skipped adding kishmish & apricots used in original recipe.I grated beet root & carrot as I find chopping finely such a chore.My funda :  if the veggies can be grated, why chop ? I used sambhar powder instead of coriander cumin powder.

I used basmati tukda rice as I use it for daily cooking. Any rice can be used.Just try to use less water so that it does not get mushy & rice remains separate grain wise as one gets in hotels,etc.And I made it in the cooker.

Ingredients : 1/2 cup basmati tukda rice, 1 small carrot -peeled & grated, 1 small beetroot- peeled & grated, 1 small potato- peeled &  thinly sliced, 1 small onion -thinly sliced, 1 tsp grated ginger, 1 green chilli finely chopped, 6-7 beans stringed & roughly chopped  ( as is  as usually  chopped for pulao ), 2 tbsp green peas, 1 bay leaf broken into two pieces, 1 small piece of cinnamon stick, 1-2 peppercorns & 1 small clove -crushed with stone pestle, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds,1 star anise, 1 tsp sambhar powder, 1/4-1/2 tsp garam masala powder.1/4 tsp haldi, 1 tbsp oil, salt to taste.


Method : Take a pressure pan or a small kadhai which can be fitted in a pressure cooker for pressure cooking later.

Heat oil in the vessel selected. Add all spices ....crushed peppercorns- clove, star anise, cinnamon stick & cumin seeds. After they get aromatic, add green chillies & grated ginger.Saute nicely.Add onions. Fry onions nicely for a minute.Add bay leaf.Fry again.Add all remaining veggies now Saute all of them so that all veggies & spices get mixed nicely.Add haldi.Mix nicely with all ingredients.Add rice. Fry all nicely for 1-2 minutes.Add sambhar powder. Mix nicely .Add water. Mix nicely.Add salt & mix nicely with all other ingredients. Add garam masala powder at the end.


Pressure cook for two whistles. Put off gas. After it cools, remove the whistle. Remove lid of cooker after 10-15 minutes of taking out the whistle.


I served pumpkin raita with this pulao !

Serve pulao with pumpkin raita or doodhi  raita or anardana raita or any other raita of choice and or papad.

No comments:

Post a Comment