“Feeding a hungry child is not charity, it is our social responsibility”

unlimited food for education

Children are being fed everyday!
I donated and made a difference!
YOU can do it too.

Friday, March 4, 2016

Vegan Apple cake

I had always admired this one cake on Madhuram's blog .I love the texture of the cake.And yet, the quantity of grating many apples put me off always.This time around, since the refrigerator was overflowing with apples ,I decided it was high time, I made this cake.

I replaced some ingredients & got a nice cake.


Ingredients : 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup maida, 1 tbsp flax seed meal, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup apple sauce, 1 + 3/4 cup tightly packed peeled, deseeded & grated apple, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder, a pinch of salt.


Method : Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.

Mix dry ingredients together except sugar & flaxseed meal .  Mix whole wheat flour, maida, baking soda, cinnamon & salt.Mix nicely many times over with a whisk.Keep aside.


Add flaxseed meal to apple sauce & mix.Keep aside .

Add sugar to grated apple.It will release lot of water. Add applesauce flax seed meal mix to this apple sugar mix.Mix nicely. Make a well in the centre of the dry atta-maida-soda-cinnamon -salt  mix .Into this well ,pour the dry mix. Make a batter by mixing dry & wet ingredients nicely.If ,needed add water drop by drop.I had to add almost 1/4 - 1/2 cup water . This batter turns out thick unlike other cake batters as there is too much apple in it.Keep aside.



Take a baking vessel.Line the inside of the baking vessel with butter paper.Pour the batter into the vessel on to the butter paper. Bake at 180 degrees centigrade for 40-45 minutes or till a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.

I have started baking the cake for 2-4 minutes in microwave mode after convection baking is over to remove all doubts about batter remaining uncooked.

I got a dry cake.Of course, I was able to cut it into nice shapes. So many apples had gone into it & yet, I was unable to detect taste of any apples .Even cinnamon for that matter.So maybe 1/2 tsp cinnamon needs to be added in place of 1/4 tsp.


Flaxseed meal provides the good fat.Yet, since , this cake was dry ( though not crumbly ) , I should have used 2-4 tbsps of oil .It would have turned out moist & nicer, perhaps.Those are the tips for the next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment