“Feeding a hungry child is not charity, it is our social responsibility”

unlimited food for education

Children are being fed everyday!
I donated and made a difference!
YOU can do it too.

Monday, April 18, 2016

Eggless banana oats bread.

I have been following this food blog called Lite Bite for quite some time. The food blogger at Lite Bite is Sanjeeta & she is superb at food photography as well.I have made her recipes earlier. And they have turned out quite well.

Since I had some oats left over, I thought of using them in a baking recipe.I had over ripe bananas as well.And this eggless banana & oats quick bread at Lite Bite seemed to fit my need of the day. I made some changes & got a slightly burnt cake.And to my surprise, my daughter ate it as well !

Ingredients : 1 cup whole wheat flour ( I used Aashirwad ...even chakki ka atta would do ) , 1/3 cup oats ( Quaker brand ...I should have soaked it & I didn't ) , 1 cup bananas mashed & pureed in mixer ( I got 1 cup puree from 3 over ripe bananas ) , 1/4 cup  jaggery sugar, 2 tbsp   yoghurt or dahi , 7-8 chopped walnuts , 1/4-1/2 tsp elaichi powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder, a pinch of salt, water as needed.


Method : Preheat the oven to 190 degrees celsius.

Mix all dry ingredients like atta, oats, baking powder, baking soda ,salt & elaichi powder. Mix all nicely with fork or whisk many times over. This is because ,I do not ever use a sieve to mix dry ingredients. Keep aside.

I have noticed that once sugar added to wet ingredients, there is more moisture for the batter.So preferable to mix sugar with wet ingredients.

Mix banana puree, dahi & jaggery sugar nicely. Make a well in the dry ingredient mix & pour the wet ingredient mix into it. Mix dry & wet ingredients to get a batter.Make a smooth batter so that no lumps remain in it.If , batter is too dry, add water drop by drop till a smooth batter is obtained.In no case, will more than 1/4 to 1/3 cup water will be required.Add chopped walnuts to the batter & mix once again .



Line a baking vessel with butter paper.Pour the batter into the vessel.Bake the batter at 190 degrees celsius for 3-35 minutes or till a toothpick inserted comes out clean.


My cake got a little burnt on top by appearance as my daughter confirmed that there was no burnt taste. The walnuts had turned black & yet the taste was perfect. Yes, the sugar was just perfect for the cake as a majority of the sweetness for the cake is due to the overripe bananas.

Instead of water 1-2 tbsp oil would be agood idea as that would make for an even better cake !

Well, isn't this cake very healthy ? Over ripe bananas can be used.Instead of maida, use atta as that is healthy.Add walnuts for the nutty flavour & dahi  & banana puree replace eggs ! What more ,could one possibly ask for ? !



No comments:

Post a Comment